Thank you for entering the 2022-23 Moore County Writers’ Competition
Submit your best fiction, nonfiction, or poetry works by November 3, 2022.
2022-23 Competition Guidelines
Cash prizes are awarded to first, second, and third place winners; honorable mentions receive a certificate. Winning entries are printed in a special publication that is made available at Weymouth Center.
The competition is open to all students and residents of Moore County, NC
- Poetry—60 lines maximum
- Fiction—3,000 words maximum
- Nonfiction—3,000 words maximum
- Elementary (Grades 1-3 and 4-6)
- Middle School (Grades 7-9)
- High School (Grades 10-12)
Winners will be contacted via email.
The following awards will be presented for each age group within each entry category: First Place-$100; Second Place-$50; Third Place-$25; Honorable Mention – Certificate of Merit
Specific Entry Format All entrants must follow all entry format and submission guidelines.
- Entries must be original, unpublished, and not currently entered in other competitions.
- One entry per person in each category.
- Entries must not exceed the stated word limit which is: Poetry—60 lines maximum; Fiction—3,000 words maximum; Nonfiction—3,000 words maximum
- Font: 12 point Times New Roman or Arial. Black. No photos or decorations on any of the pages.
- Maximum 6 pages single spaced or 12 pages double spaced (not including cover page).
- No color, photos, decorations, or graphics on any page.
- Digital format only. Email pdf to email@example.com by Nov. 3.
- Send one file per entry: the cover page should be included with the pdf. See cover page instructions below. We will remove identifiable information from the cover page prior to judging.
- On each page after the cover page, include only the title of your entry and the page number, starting with #1. Do not include information that may identify the author.
Cover page should contain this information as listed here:
- Entry Title
- Author’s name
- Author’s home address
- Author’s phone number and email address
- Entry Category
- Age Group (if you are a student, please include the name of your school, your teacher’s name and teacher’s contact email).
- Word Count of your entry
For all submissions:
- Your name/identifying information should only appear on the cover page.
- Keep cover page and entry together in a single pdf. This competition uses a blind judging format. Cover page information will be removed prior to judging so the author’s name is not on the work as it is being read.
- Please ensure you include all requested entry information, as entries with missing information or not meeting the submission guidelines will be disqualified.
- Choose the correct age and contest category.
- Entrants must be a current resident of Moore County, NC.
- Entries received after the November 3, 2022 deadline will not be accepted.
Deadline for entries: 5:00 p.m. on November 3, 2022.
Awards reception: Sunday afternoon, February 12, 2023, at Weymouth Center, 555 E. Connecticut Avenue in Southern Pines.
Save the date! Winning entries will be included in a special publication available at Weymouth Center. Weymouth Center has first publication rights and reserves the right to edit or excerpt manuscripts before publication if necessary.
Thank you for your assistance in making this writing competition a success! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Weymouth Center front office, at 910-692-6261 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Moore County Writers’ Competition is underwritten by the Donald and Elizabeth Cooke Foundation.