February 22-23, 2020
The Weymouth Festival Committee wishes to thank you for encouraging your students to participate in the Young Musicians Festival. In order for the event to proceed smoothly and positively for everyone involved, please read the following guidelines and discuss them with your student(s) where appropriate.
Auditioners who live in the counties of Moore, Lee, Hoke, Montgomery, Richmond, Cumberland and Scotland, and are currently studying an instrument or voice with a teacher, are eligible to participate. Students may enter more than once (piano, voice, violin, etc.) but may be a finalist in only one category.
- Preparatory Division (through 3rd grade)—8 minutes maximum time, two (2) memorized pieces of contrasting styles (f-p, fast-slow, etc), 16 measures minimum.
- Division 1 (grades 4-6) – 10 minutes maximum time, two (2) memorized pieces of contrasting styles.
- Division 2 (grades 7-9) – 13 minutes maximum time, two (2) memorized pieces of contrasting styles.
- Division 3 (grades 10-12) – 15 minutes maximum time, may be one (1) longer piece showing contrasting styles, or two (2) pieces, all music memorized.
- Division 4 (Advanced, for auditioners who have been finalists two out of the last three years; applies to 7th-12th grades) – 15 minutes maximum time, may be one (1) longer piece showing contrasting styles, or two (2) pieces, all music memorized.
- Auditioners should arrive at the Weymouth Center at least 15 minutes prior to their audition time on Saturday, February 22, 2020. Upon arrival, each student should register and make certain that all repertoire information on rating sheets is correct. After registration, auditioners should wait quietly in the Garden Room or Library. A monitor will be present to escort each auditioner to the audition site at the appointed time.
- Auditioners should be encouraged to wear appropriate dress for the occasion.
- Auditioners may leave at the conclusion of their audition. Finalists will be announced at the end of the day. Teachers will be responsible for notifying the finalists of their participation in Sunday’s concert.
- Auditioners (if applicable) must supply an accompanist other than their performance area teacher. This accompanist must also be available for the Sunday concert in the event the auditioner is selected as a finalist.
- If the auditioner will not be able to perform on Sunday if selected, they may audition “for comments only.” Please make a note of this on the application.
- Each auditioner should be prepared to announce to the adjudicator the titles of their compositions in the order in which they are to be performed.
- Pianists are encouraged to take a minute to warm-up on the piano. Instrumentalists are encouraged to take time to tune their instruments to the piano if being accompanied. Vocal participants may warm-up their voices in the Garden Room.
- All music must be memorized, and each auditioner must provide the judge with a copy of their performance pieces with measures numbered. No photocopies will be allowed.
- The Weymouth Center will be open to Festival participants for rehearsal between 3:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 20, and Friday, February 21. Time will be limited to 10 minutes per auditioner. Please sign in upon arrival. Auditioners will be taken in sign-up order. Please permit auditioners to practice privately.
- Please park in designated areas at all times.
- The Finalists Concert at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 23, 2020, is open to the public. Those selected to perform should arrive no later than 1:45 p.m. Finalists are asked to remain for a few minutes after the concert to have a group photo taken.
Awards to be given:
Katharine Boyd Award: Overall winner $100
Amelia Rose Ehrhardt Award: Division 4
Lena Stewart Brillhart Award: Division 3
Glenn Brillhart Award: Division 2
Elizabeth Stevenson Ives Award: Division 1
First place and finalists awards will be given in each division.
Thank you again for making the Festival a positive experience for the young musicians who wish to participate.
If you have any questions, please contact Sue Aceves (phone: 910-949-3609 or email: email@example.com ).
Festival Committee: Sue Aceves, Festival Chair; Elaine Sills, Weymouth Music Committee Chair; Sondra Nelson, John Tyson, Larissa Glassman, and Kristina Henckel